Somen Salad: A Refreshing Light Meal for the Summertime
Sitting under the summer sun can often make us crave a refreshing comfort food. If you are looking for something savory and light with a hint of Asian influence, then look no further than somen salad. This traditional Japanese dish combines chewy noodles with delicious vegetables, a flavorful sauce, and a hint of tangy pickles to give you a satisfyingly zesty meal.
• 2 packages of somen noodles
• 2 cups of boiling hot water
• 2 bunches of kale, roughly chopped
• 2 apples, thinly sliced
• 1 cup of pickles
• 4 tablespoons of peanut oil
• 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
• 1 tablespoons of rice vinegar
• ½ teaspoon of sesame oil
1. Boil the 2 cups of water over high heat in a saucepan.
2. Add the noodles and cook for 5 minutes.
3. Drain the noodles and rinse with cold water.
4. Place the noodles in a large bowl with the chopped kale and apples.
5. In a small bowl, whisk together the peanut oil, soy sauce, rice vinegar, and sesame oil to make the salad dressing.
6. Add the dressing to the noodles and mix until everything is evenly coated.
7. Gently fold in the pickles and mix until everything is evenly distributed.
8. Serve the salad chilled or at room temperature.
Somen salad is a delicious, light meal that is perfect for any summertime lunch. The slightly sweet and sour flavors of the noodles combined with the crunchy vegetables and zesty pickles are sure to tantalize your taste buds. Plus, you can get creative and experiment with different vegetables, herbs, and spices to make the dish your own. Enjoy somen salad as a main meal, or for a side with grilled chicken and fish.
Somen salad is part of a long established culinary tradition of combining noodles with vegetables. The somen noodles themselves are a simple yet delicious way to bring heartiness and flavor to any dish. For those who like to be adventurous in the kitchen, try substituting different types of noodles such as udon or soba. With the right ingredients, this simple salad can become an amazing meal.