A Refreshingly Delicious Pea Salad Without Bacon
Welcome to the world of crunchy and toothsome pea salads! Does the thought of peas make you quail? Perhaps you think of them as a flavourless, slimy vegetables to be avoided at all costs? If that‘s the case, then you can’t be blamed for your misconception. Today, your opinion will be challenged, and a flavourful, impressive pea salad without bacon will take its rightful place on the plates of even the most discerning of palates.
First things first, the ingredients. This pea salad is surprisingly packed with mouth-watering, aromatic ingredients:
• 2 cups of shelled peas
• 2 stalks of celery, chopped
• 1/2 cup of red onion, finely chopped
• 1/3 cup of mini pepperoni slices
• 1/2 cup of mayonnaise
• 2 tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese
• 2 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice
• 1 teaspoon of salt
• 1 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
• 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh parsley
1. Put the peas in a pot of boiling water and cook for about 4 minutes.
2. Drain the peas and let cool.
3. In a large bowl, combine the cooled peas, celery, red onion, pepperoni, mayonnaise, Parmesan cheese, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
4. Mix gently until all the ingredients are evenly distributed.
5. Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary.
6. Sprinkle with the chopped parsley and serve.
This pea salad has a unique flavor, one that will delightfully perplex your palate. Fresh peas, crunchy celery and tender red onion are elegantly combined with Parmesan cheese, the tang of lemon juice, the kick of pepperoni, and a creamy mayonnaise dressing. The salt and pepper weave the disparate flavors into a harmony of freshness and a burst of flavor that lingers on the tongue.
No one quite knows who created this heavenly pea salad, but it encapsulates much of the flavors found in Mediterranean cuisine, as well as hinting at Asian and North African influences. It also has similarities to a caprese salad, except in this case it’s the tenderness of the peas and the Parmesan that offer a gastronomic surprise.
My own fondest memory of this delightful delicacy is having it with my family on a particularly beautiful, sunlit summer day. With chilled drinks and plenty of laughter, this pea salad became a crown jewel among the other dishes on the table.
So why not try an interesting variation on your favorite green salad and give this pea salad without bacon a shot? You won’t regret it; I guarantee it!