Michigan Salad: A Tangy Taste of Back Home
Ah yes, Michigan salad. For those of us who have ever called the Motor City home, this refreshingly tasty side dish will always be close to our hearts. Combining the tartness of Michigan apples, the sweetness of Michigan cherries, and the crunchiness of Michigan walnuts, this zesty dish has all the depth of one of Motown’s classic ballads.
Whether served as a light lunch or an savory side for any main, ferociously flavorful Michigan salad never fails to satisfy. And, with only 20 minutes of preparation, you’ll get to savor the taste of the Great Lakes State in no time!
– 2 sweet apples (Michigan-grown, if available!)
– 1/2 cup of Michigan dried cherries
– 1/2 cup of roasted Michigan walnuts
– 2 tablespoons of Michigan honey
– 1 tablespoon of white wine vinegar
– 4 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
– 1/2 teaspoon of mustard
– Salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
1) Thinly slice the apples, and combine them with the dried cherries and roasted walnuts in a large bowl.
2) In a small bowl, whisk together the honey, white wine vinegar, olive oil, and mustard.
3) Pour the dressing over the apples and nuts, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
4) Give the salad a gentle stir to ensure the ingredients are evenly distributed, and the salad is ready to serve!
With Michigan salad, you can indulge in the tantalizing taste of the Great Lakes State without ever having to leave the comfort of your own home. Packed with crunch, sweetness and zest, this zingy dish will tantalize your taste buds and transport any homesick Michigander back to the land of lakes and leisure. If you can’t make it back to the Motor City in person, a huge helping of Michigan salad just might help you get by!