A Taste of the Lone Star State with Texas Roadhouse Salad
For anyone who has ever visited the vast, wild landscape of Texas, the bold, flavorful taste of the Lone Star State remains an unforgettable culinary experience. With this Tex-Mex inspired salad, you can now bring a little bit of the Texas spirit right to your own kitchen.
– 2 cups cooked black beans
– 2 ears of cooked corn, cut off the cob
– 4-6 cups Romaine lettuce
– 1 chopped green pepper
– 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
– 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
– 1/4 cup diced purple onion
– 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
– 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
– 1 teaspoon of chili powder
– 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
– 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
1. In a large bowl, combine the cooked beans and corn.
2. Add the lettuce, green pepper, tomatoes, cilantro, and onion.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, vinegar, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
4. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to combine.
5. Serve and enjoy!
This salad is a delicious, crowd-pleasing side dish that’s perfect for a summer barbecue or summer potluck. Its Southwestern flavor comes from ingredients common to Mexican cuisine, such as cilantro and chili powder, while the contrasting sweetness of the corn and the pungent zing of the purple onion lend it a distinctive Texas flair.
If you’re inspired to try your hand at creating a home-cooked Texas Roadhouse salad, consider swapping out the Romaine lettuce for another type of leafy green, such as kale or spinach. Be sure to also adjust the amounts of oil and vinegar in the dressing to taste. Feel free to experiment replacing the olive oil with canola oil or adding other traditional Mexican spices, such as cayenne pepper or oregano.
This inviting salad not only spotlights the various influences that make Texas one of the most diverse culinary regions of the United States, but it also proves that it’s possible to bring a bit of the Lone Star State to your own kitchen. So go ahead and enjoy serving up a little taste of Texas with Texas Roadhouse Salad.