Tantalizing Vintage Ham Salad
Nothing says summertime like an old-fashioned ham salad! Bursting with an array of tantalizing flavors and textures, this vintage ham salad is sure to leave you wanting more. With a delicate balance between creamy and crunchy, sweet and savory, this recipe will take you back to simpler times.
– 8 ounces lean smoked ham, diced
– 2 large carrot, peeled and grated
– 1/2 cup celery, vine shoots removed and finely chopped
– 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
– 1/4 cup green olives, finely chopped
– 1/4 cup mayonnaise
– 2 tablespoons mustard
– Salt and freshly ground black pepper
– 2 tablespoons parsley, minced
– 2 tablespoons fresh chives, minced
– 4-6 basil leaves, finely chopped
1. In a large bowl, combine the ham, carrots, celery, onion, olives, mayonnaise, mustard, salt and pepper.
2. Stir until the ingredients are well combined.
3. Add the parsley, chives and basil, stirring to combine.
4. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
5. Serve with crackers, on a sandwich, or as a salad topping.
This vintage ham salad captures the essence of home-cooking. The combination of sweet carrots, fragrant herbs, and the tender smokiness of the ham, all bound together with a creamy mayonnaise-mustard dressing, is guaranteed to enchant your tastebuds. Enjoy this childhood favorite for lunch, as an appetizer, or as a side dish at your next picnic.
To take this dish to the next level, try adding some flavorful ingredients such as chopped hard-boiled eggs, diced jalapenos, or even a handful of raisins. These simple additions will add complexity, sweet and tangy flavors, and extraordinary texture to the traditional ham salad recipe. You can easily make variations of this classic dish, referencing other cultural traditions and recipes, and become a master of your own culinary creations. Enjoy!