Savour the Bursting Explosion of Flavour in this Tea Leaf Salad
Are looking for that perfect recipe to tantalise your taste buds? Look no further – this Tea Leaf Salad is here to spice up any meal, offering a burst of flavour with a medley of textures.
Originating from Burmese cuisine, the demure flavour of this dish belies its complex nature. This health-conscious meal, which contains leaves and nuts is perfect to liven up lunch or add freshness to an evening meal.
This delicious, crunchy dish is sure to surprise your palate. It stands apart due to its unique combination of ingredients rarely found together – the unsettlingly strange blend of buttery nuttiness with the piquant crunch of ingredients roasted in oil come together to create a truly perplexing flavour experience.
To make this scrumptious Tea Leaf Salad, it’s essential to use either picked tea leaves or a special dried, roasted variety. Once all the ingredients are gathered, they must be thoroughly mix-fried in order to bring out the unique flavour, before being added to the salad as a topping to bring an intriguing crunchy texture.
– Half a cup of dried, roasted tea leaves
– 4 cloves of garlic, finely minced
– 2 tablespoons of jaggery, finely grated
– An inch of fresh ginger, finely minced
– 2 tablespoons of toasted sesame seeds
– 2 tablespoons of roasted peanuts
– 2 tablespoons of fried shallots
– 1 tablespoon of fish sauce
– 2 tablespoons of lime juice
– 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
– Half a teaspoon of chilli flakes
– 1 tablespoon of freshly chopped cilantro
1. Heat oil in a pan and add the tea leaves, ginger and garlic to it. Fry the ingredients for 1-2 minutes on medium heat until the aroma of the tea leaves is released.
2. Add jaggery, sesame seeds, peanuts, shallots, fish sauce and chilli flakes to the pan and mix well. Continue cooking for another 3-4 minutes.
3. Remove pan from heat and stir in the lime juice, cilantro and a pinch of salt. Allow the mixture to cool.
4. Assemble your salad and top it with the tea leaf mixture. Enjoy!
This unique salad is sure to leave you wanting more. Its complexity and bold blend of tastes and textures make it a delightfully refreshing dish, which you can enjoy any time of the day. It pairs perfectly with other Burmese dishes, such as Shan noodles and chili chicken, as well as dishes from other cuisines, such as rice and stir fry.
For a fragrant twist to this salad, try using jasmine tea leaves and adding some fragrant Thai herbs and spices. And don’t forget to experiment with other types of leafy greens to bring an array of flavour and texture to your meal!