Spring Pea Salad : A Refreshing Return to Life in the Garden
Spring is finally here, and what better way to celebrate than by getting back into the kitchen to flex your muscles and create a flavorful, nourishing dish that comes alive with the arrival of the new season? Enter this delightful Spring Pea Salad – a simple, yet flavorful dish that is packed with protein, vitamins and minerals, and bursting with the fresh flavors of spring.
The highlight of this dish is the infusion of tart and sweet flavors that work in synergy to create something wholly unlike any other salad. Using sugar snap peas and snow peas, this recipe incorporates a pleasing sweetness, offset by a refreshing, tangy kick of freshly-squeezed lemon juice. Another unique aspect of this recipe is the incorporation of parsley and dill, herbs commonly found in Mediterranean and Middle Eastern dishes, which add a hint of earthy spice and bring out the vibrant flavors of the peas.
This surprisingly filling salad is enjoyably light and crunchy, and can be served either as an appetizer or in place of a side dish. Adding cooked quinoa makes it even more substantial and nutritious, so you can eat your salad without feeling like you’re missing out. Plus, if you find yourself with some leftovers, it makes for an excellent workday lunch the next day!
– 1 cup sugar snap peas
– 1 cup snow peas
– 1/3 cup cooked quinoa
– ½ cup shredded carrots
– 2 tablespoons lemon juice
– 2 tablespoons olive oil
– ¼ teaspoon salt
– ¼ teaspoon pepper
– 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
– 2 tablespoons dill, chopped
1. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and add the sugar snap and snow peas. Boil for 1-2 minutes or until just tender.
2. Drain the peas and plunge them into an ice bath to stop the cooking process.
3. In a large bowl, stir together the quinoa, carrots, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper.
4. Add the cooled peas and herbs, and mix to combine.
5. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
You’ll be surprised at how quickly and easily this salad comes together – with a few simple ingredients and a few minutes in the kitchen, you can create a delightful dish that bursts with the freshness of spring. Whether you’re looking for a light lunch, side dish or something special to serve company, this Spring Pea Salad is sure to please.