Experience the Delightful Tangy-Sweet Taste of Salad Turnips!
If you’re looking for a crunchy side dish with a unique flavour, salad turnips might just be what you’re craving. Salad turnips offer a unique mix of sweet and tangy flavours, making them a great companion to any meal. Plus, they are super easy to prepare! Let us guide you through the steps of making this delicious side dish.
- 1 lb. turnips, peeled and cut into bite-sized cubes
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp honey
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fill a pot with water and bring to a boil. Once it is boiling, add the turnip cubes and let cook until they are tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- When the turnips are done, drain the water and let cool.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cooked turnips, red onion, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, honey and salt and pepper.
Salad turnips can be eaten hot, warm or cold. They make a great side dish or can be the star of the show, with all the other ingredients serving as their supporting cast. The combination of sweet and tangy flavours makes them a great accompaniment to grilled meats and fish, or a delicious light salad with your choice of greens. Salad turnips also pair well with other vegetables and grains, meaning you could add them to a roasted veggie dish and it would bring up the flavour profile.
This easy-to-make salad turnip recipe is a great way to experience the beautiful flavours of this beloved vegetable! Try mixing up the recipe by adding different herbs or spices, swap out one of the ingredients or experiment with different dressing combinations.
Salad turnips are very similar in flavour to kohlrabi, so many of the same recipes could be used. So, if you’re looking to switch up your sides and veggie dishes, give this delightful recipe a try!