Fresh Flavors You’ll Love – Pickled Beets Salad
Are you ready to add a unique twist to your next salad? Pickled beets are a great way to get creative with your greens and introduce a delicious, tangy flavor to your plate. This Pickled Beets Salad recipe is bursting with sweet, salty and acidic elements, creating a balanced and memorable taste that you won’t forget.
For this salad, the pickled beets are the star of the show and are complemented by other fresh ingredients. The main pickling agent used is a blend of beet juice, white vinegar, and sugar, while whole cloves, bay leaves, and other spices give added complexity to the pickling broth. The result is a tangy but sweet and deliciously complex flavor that pairs perfectly with the sweet and sharp flavors of the other salad ingredients.
– 2 pounds of beets
– 2 cup white vinegar
– ¼ cup of salt
– ½ cup of sugar
– 4 cloves
– 2 bay leaves
– 2 tablespoons of whole mixed spices
– 5 tablespoons of olive oil
– 2 tablespoons of honey
– 1 head of romaine lettuce
– ½ cup of diced celery
– ½ cup of slivered almonds
– 1 small red onion
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Place the beets in a roasting pan and cover with foil.
3. Roast the beets in the oven for 45 minutes or until they are tender.
4. When they are done, remove them from the oven and let them cool.
5. Peel and then dice the beets into small cubes and place them into a large bowl.
6. In a separate bowl, mix together the white vinegar, salt, sugar, cloves, bay leaves, and spices.
7. Pour the mixture over the beets and stir to combine. Let the beets marinate for at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
8. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
9. Add the marinated beets and sauté for 5 minutes or until heated through.
10. Remove the beets from the heat and stir in the honey.
11. In a large salad bowl, combine the lettuce, celery, almonds, onion, and the beets.
12. Toss to combine and then serve.
This Pickled Beets Salad is perfect for when you feel like spicing up your dinner routine. The contrast of the sweet and savory flavors of the pickled beets with the crunchy and savory components of the other ingredients will make your taste buds sing. Plus, pickling is a preservation method that has been used for centuries and can add a unique cultural influence to your dinner.
For more ideas, try some variations on this Pickled Beets Salad by adding different vegetables or toppings. Or, you could use pickling as part of a marinade for other proteins. With pickled beets, the possibilities are endless!