Craving an Exotic Salad? Try This Delicious Okra Salad!
As the weather warms, there is nothing more refreshing than a light, crunchy, and flavorful salad. But if you are looking for something a little out of the ordinary, this Okra Salad is the perfect dish to tantalize your taste buds.
Originating from Asian and African cuisine, Okra is a versatile vegetable that works incredibly well in salads. Boasting a subtle crunchy texture and herbaceous flavor, okra adds a great deal of flavor to this salad. It’s not only tasty, but also high in vitamins and minerals.
– 1 lb fresh okra
– 2 tablespoons lemon juice
– 1 garlic clove, minced
– 2 tablespoons olive oil
– 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
– 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
– 1 small red onion, finely chopped
– Salt & pepper to taste
1. Wash and dry the okra, then cut into 1 inch slices.
2. In a medium-sized bowl, mix the lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, cilantro, pumpkin seeds, red onion, and salt & pepper.
3. Toss the sliced okra in the mixture, ensuring everything is well-coated.
4. Plate the salad and let it sit for 2-3 hours before serving to let the flavors combine.
The result is a delicious dish that bursts with a myriad of contrasting flavors that seem to linger on your palate. The subtle tartness of the lemon juice is offset by the warm and vibrant aromas of the garlic, cilantro and onion. With the slight crunch of the pumpkin seeds, it’s sure to please both your taste buds and your palate.
If you are looking for a unique and delicious salad to pleasantly surprise your guests at your next dinner party, this Okra Salad is sure to do the trick. And just to add a unique cultural touch, why not serve it with a side of African spiced rice or Moroccan flatbread.