Geoffrey Zakarian’s delectable summer pasta salad
As we wave goodbye to the long, hot days of summer, Geoffrey Zakarian’s vegan pasta salad is the perfect way to send the season off in style. This delicious dish is packed with bold flavors, a hint of color and a splash of zesty zing, making it the ideal centerpiece to a summer luncheon or evening gathering.
The recipe calls for fresh vegetables, typically green bell peppers and red onions, as well as bold spices including garlic, oregano, and cilantro. Adding to the flavor is a twist of tartness from red wine vinegar and a savory jolt of capers. All these ingredients tossed together with a springy mix of penne and 18-minute-cooking Farfalle pasta make the perfect temperature contrast, making the salad both visually pleasing as well as pleasant to consume.
This dish pays big homage to the Mediterranean culture, bringing together a variety of international flavors, including the tangy yet nutty richness of the pine nuts. This dish also gives you the opportunity to break out of traditional recipes, as it doesn’t have to be heated or cooked; the vegetables and ingredients can simply be combined and chilled, offering a cool respite from the summer heat.
If you’re looking for a vegetarian alternative to traditional pasta-style dishes, Geoffrey Zakarian’s vegan pasta salad is an excellent option. It pays homage to the cuisines of the Mediterranean, while bringing together a unique combination of fresh vegetables, spices, sauces, and nuts. Most importantly, it’s easy to prepare, tastes amazing, and is a unique and healthy way to add some zest to any summer gathering.
– 2 cups uncooked Farfalle pasta
– 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
– 2 tsp salt
– 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
– 2 cups diced green bell peppers
– 1 cup diced red onion
– 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
– 2 tsp dried oregano
– 1/4 cup capers, drained and rinsed
– 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
– 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the Farfalle pasta and cook for 18 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, and red wine vinegar.
3. Add the bell peppers, red onion, parsley, oregano, and capers to the dressing and gently toss.
4. Add the cooked pasta and the toasted pine nuts and mix until the ingredients are all combined.
5. Sprinkle with the chopped cilantro and serve at room temperature or chilled.