This sexy salad is something I only tried for the first time recently and was very pleasantly surprised. I love pumpkin so it was no surprise that I loved this salad too. It does take a little longer than the other more basic salads but is perfect for when you want something more substantial or you just want to impress guests with a salad that looks beautiful. For a bit of a twist the second time I remade it I used green beans instead of the mixed salad and the whole thing was nice and warm so keep that in mind if it is getting colder where you live. In the future I am going to try sweet potato instead of pumpkin and i think i might throw in some pine nuts too.
- 1 1/2 butternut pumpkin, peeled, chopped
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces
- olive oil cooking spray
- 1 1/4 lbs chicken breast fillets
- 3 1/2 oz spinach and rocket salad mix
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon wholegrain mustard
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Place pumpkin, syrup and oil in a bowl. Toss to combine. Place pumpkin, in a single layer, on prepared tray.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, adding walnuts to tray for the last 8 minutes of cooking, or until pumpkin is tender.
- Spray a frying pan with oil. Heat over medium-high heat. Cook chicken for 6 to 7 minutes each side or until cooked through.
- Transfer to a plate. Stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Thinly slice.
- Meanwhile, make Mustard dressing: Place oil, vinegar, syrup and mustard in a screw-top jar. Secure lid. Shake to combine.
- Place pumpkin, walnuts, chicken, salad mix, onion and dressing in a bowl. Toss to combine. Serve.