I love the colorful nature of this salad recipe I found at Eating Well. Not only does it look pretty but it is loaded with with vitamins and minerals. In case you haven’t heard quinoa (pronounced kinwaa) is an excellent source of protein and contains all 8 essential amino acids. Combine that with the delicious protein rich black beans and this salad is an excellent nutritious meal not only for vegetarians but anyone interested in eating healthy.
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 small mango, diced
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- Start by toasting the quinoa in a small saucepan with nothing in it. When it starts to crackle and you can smell it then it is done. This should take about 5 minutes.
- Rinse the quinoa, return to the suacepan and add some water. Cover and cook until tender and the water has been absorbed. Much like you would cook rice. This takes about 15 minutes.
- While you are waiting for the quinoa to cook grab a bowl and add all the other ingredients together. Toss it all thoroughly.
- After the quinoa is cooked add your mixed ingredients and stir gently.
- Serve as is for a beautiful and healthy salad.