I really enjoyed the fact I had all these healthy ingredients already at home when I decided to make this delicious salad. It has a fantastic tangy taste and will go well with both meat and vegetarian dishes. The contrasting textures between the cranberries, the chickpeas and the couscous is just delightful. You can eat it hot or cold , as an entrée, a main or enjoy as leftovers. Very easy to make and totally yummy. I hope you like it.
- 2 ½ cups chicken stock
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp ginger
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups couscous
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas or one can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup canola oil, divided
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup fresh chopped parsley
- Combine stock, turmeric, ginger and cinnamon in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from heat.
- Stir in couscous, cover and let stand for 5 minutes or until liquid has been completely absorbed.
- Transfer to large bowl and let cool to room temperature.
- Break up any couscous lumps with fingers.
- Sauté zucchini, carrots and green onions in 1 tbsp of canola oil.
- Add sautéed vegetables to couscous. Stir in cranberries and chickpeas.
- Whisk together lemon juice, remaining oil, salt and cayenne pepper in a small bowl.
- Pour over couscous and toss together.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight. Garnish with parsley before serving.