- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 cup pepperoncini and/or kalamata olives, plus 1 tablespoon brine from the jar
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 romaine lettuce hearts, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 cup mixed fresh herbs (parsley, dill, mint and/or oregano)
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 large cucumbers, peeled, seeded and cut into chunks
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 12 stuffed grape leaves (from the deli counter)
- Soak the onion in a small bowl of ice water, about 5 minutes.
- Make the dressing: Whisk the vinegar, pepperoncini or olive brine, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl.
- Whisk in the olive oil in a slow stream until blended.
- Drain the onion and add to the bowl with the dressing. Add the lettuce, herbs, tomatoes and cucumbers and toss to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper. Divide among bowls and top with the pepperoncini and/or olives, feta and stuffed grape leaves.
Per serving: Calories 338; Fat 27 g (Saturated 8 g); Cholesterol 33 mg; Sodium 1,018 mg; Carbohydrate 16 g; Fiber 4 g; Protein 9 g. Makes 4 servings.